Apr 11, 2011

Waiting, waiting, wanting to know....

Still waiting to find out something about my hostfamily and my placement... I'm just so eager to know more, it's only 4 months until I leave and I know some other people already have their hostfamilies and gaaaah..  Today I got an invitation for my preparation camp in Finland, it's less than a month until that too! I can't wait, and this saturday I have a shorter preparation thing held in Turku for the local leaving exchange students. Ugh my English is already messed up, sorry about that. All these happenings just make it seem so much more real, "it's actually going to happen" is a thought that often crosses my mind, lately all the more as the departure approaches..

Sometimes I do wonder why I'm doing this in the first place... Staying away for a whole year does seem like quite a lot when you think about it.. I know for sure I'll miss my friends and family a lot.. And the language is an issue for me too, I mean yeah, I really really want to learn French properly but sometimes it feels entirely impossible and I'm struck by panic "I'll never be able to do this". On the other hand, I can't wait to leave. I can't wait to be able to see more of the world, to get to know new people, learn a new language and have lots of valuable experiences. I say valuable rather than amazing or superb, I know not all of the things I'll experience are going to be easy to deal with or even remotely enjoyable but after all, when you decide to do an exchange year, you kind of need to know that not everything will be perfect, it won't necessarily be "THE BEST YEAR OF YOUR LIFE" like some organisations advertise (which I think is extremely wrong of them, but I won't go more into that right now), nope it might well be the worst year of your life at the time, but later one will surely value all the experiences and lifelessons you get to learn when dealing with a different culture for a year.

Just some thoughts =)
Hugs, Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment